Well not all plans work out the way we plan. I ended up staying in Utah (unable to find a job in CA), I was hired part-time as a Developmental Specialist through the company I did my internship with. My current responsibilities have been home visits, assisting in a parenting class, planning monthly community activities for over 200 families, testing children for intakes/6 month reviews and various paper work around the office. I have a 2nd job as a para educator in a special needs preschool. I love teaching preschool, the kids are fun, cute and hilarious. It can be challenging and you wouldn't think the kids could wear you out as much as they do. It's rewarding to look back and see how much the kids have grown since August and the little differences I have made in their lives.
Currently I plan to continue working to gain experience as I try to figure out what the next steps in my life are. I have been considering graduate school but can't decide on what exactly I would like to do. Taiwan is still on the back burner but at this point it may just be a dream. Below are some pictures of my life in the last 10 months.
Sitting on the porch in the summer with two of my roommates and best friends, Bethany from BYU-I and Brittany from back home. We spent several evening on this porch hanging out, visiting with neighbors and enjoying the summer evenings.
During the summer I helped Steven train for his marathon. I would bike along side him carrying gels and extra water for him while he ran 15 to 20 miles. Above is a picture of Steven running in his first marathon.
Steven's cheering squad, from left to right: Joe, Tyler, me and Brittany. All friends from home. We had fun following the course and cheering for Steve at various check points. We even made up a few cheers.
This summer Steven, Brittany, a couple of steven's friends and I hike Mount Timpanogos. The tallest mountain peak in the area. It was a beautiful hike, we crossed over several streams, past several water falls, wild flowers were every where, snow and even an ice glacier. The scenery was always changing. When we reached the top the clouds came over the mountain and it was freezing and we were unable to see the valley below. I was really disappointed, I would like to hike it again on a clear day.
Steve graduated from BYU in August. Mom, Dad and James came up for a few days to celebrate.
Oh and I bought a car in August when my parents were up for Steven's graduation. Not something I expected to do for a long time. My parents and I went out car shopping to get an idea of what was out there and by the end of the day I was the new owner of a 2005 Chevy Malibu. It was funny because I didn't really like any of the cars that were being shown to us and I was ready to quit for the day. Before we were about to leave the salesmen wanted us to look at this car. When he drove up, I joking said "This is the car, it's white! Must be destiny". We have a joke in the family, all the cars we have are white and we don't do it on purpose. It's really nice not having to rely on others for rides all the time. I also needed a car for one of my jobs.
In September Steven threw a surprise birthday party for me with several of our friends from back home. He made a special cake for me, had a pinata, made several cookies and the whole sha-bang. It was a total surprise, I didn't expect it at all.
The Paredes invited Brittany and I to the circus for our September birthdays. The tigers were one of my favorite parts. The crowd was pathetic though, they hardly reacted to any of the acts. When the circus was over hardly anyone clapped, it was sad. I have never seen such a bad crowd before.
In October I got to go home for the second time in 18 months. It was a much needed visit, I was getting pretty home sick. This trip home was a very exciting one for me and the family, I welcomed my brother Mike home from his mission in El Salvador, welcome my new niece Katie in to the family (picture above, isn't she a doll) and celebrated my great-grandma's 100th birthday.
Mike , James and I dressed up as pirates for Halloween. The whole family was planning to as well but it didn't quite work out.
For Steven's birthday he wanted me to make a cake of his running shoes. I had no idea what I was doing and a bit stressed about it. Above is the results of the cake being compared to Steve's running shoes.Well that is all for now. I will try to be better with posts and keeping you all updated.........



2 comments:
Yay for pictures! Those shoe cakes are amazing!
Love the post Kris. It's great seeing all the pictures. It feels like I'm more involved with your life.
Post a Comment