One thing I love about living in new towns is learning and participating in cultures and festivals. This last weekend I went to the Hare Krishna Festival of Colors, which is a traditional Indian holiday to celebrate spring with bright colors, food, music and dancing. The festival is held at the Sri Sri Radha Krishna Temple in Spanish Fork. They open their doors to everyone to celebrate this holiday. This festival is famous for throwing brightly colored flour at people. Thousands of people attend this event each year.
I attended this festival with my good friend Brittany and her friend Kat. I did not purchase color to throw at people but I found out there was no need. As I walked through the crowd several people threw color on me because my clothes were too clean. Often throwing it on my back or dumping it on my head when I wasn't looking. Brittany and I explored the temple and learned a simple dance before the big throwing of Color, where everyone gathers together, counts down and throws color all at once. It was pretty crazy, for about a minute you can hardly see much around you. From the outside it probably looks like an atomic bomb went off. This festival was definitely unlike any festival I have ever participated in before but one I plan to attend next year.
Sunday, March 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment